Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Gentle Eternal Sun



I looked up to the red sky and admire the red sunset as few clouds covered the sun a bit as he went down behind the mountains. “He is a brilliant in his own nature, independent and giver of all life” I thought to myself. As I watched the sky carefully it felt as if it was the last sunshine I would ever see, as if the sun has done his job and now going away forever and as if his fuel has run out. My entire village is surrounded by gigantic mountains on all side, in winter we hardly get any direct sun light. The people of this village believe that long ago their ancestors upset the sun god whom in anger drove the community to hide in this little village but to myself I thought “How can the sun as gentle as he is not forgive the community. He is the gentle eternal sun.”

The sun disappeared and left a glow on the West Mountains but from the east a huge mass of clouds was moving across to the west covering the sky and bringing almost total darkness to village. My parents told me to go inside the house and once everybody was in, the doors were locked and the candles were lit. I looked outside the window, it was so dark it seems as if our house is the only house drifting in an endless space of darkness and even the sky was totally black. I began to feel afraid and longing for the sun, longing for the storm to be over.

As I was still looking out the window a lightning bolt hit a tree, instantly burning it to the ground. The light was so bright I could see everything in the village as if it was daylight and the thunder was so terrible that the roof of the house was shaking and the window was vibrating violently. I too was shaking and scared to the last degree. My mother took me and put me to bed and told me to go to sleep and that when I wake up the storm will be over. As I drifted of to sleep I heard raindrops falling hard on the roof.

I felt something smooth like a snake circling my leg, and I could still hear the rain falling down on the roof. I went back to sleep for a moment then I felt as if all my blankets were wet. I thought to myself if whether I might have wet my bed, but no it was too wet. I thought that maybe there was a leak on the roof and rain water was dripping on to my bed. With the thought of that I drifted off to sleep. I dreamt myself swimming at a beach, it was holiday times and the beach was full of people.

As I swim there for a long time I lost focus of my surrounding and later I realised that the beach was no longer there. I was far in the middle of the water. I panicked and looked at all sides and I could not see any sign of land. My heart was beating very fast and I was confused and didn’t know what to do. I closed my eyes right there and pray. As I prayed I heard someone calling my name the voice was coming in all directions. I could not recognise the voice but then I heard my mother’s voice in a distance. I felt rain falling on my face, I felt cold and then I woke up from my dream.
 When I opened my eyes I was terrified and instantly shocked, I closed my eyes and open them to find that it was real. I was in the middle of mountain of water as the waves raised the water so high into the sky. I wasn’t swimming but just floating on the water. I heard my mothers’ voice calling me and when I looked at here direction I saw here on top of our roof as our house float on top of the water. The house and my mom were on the very top of the wave as I was stuck below in the middle of two mountains of waves. Every now and then the water would rise me up and drop our house down below.


After some minutes we were both on the top but on different waves. My mom yelled “Swim, swim, swim”. I tried to swim but it was useless, the water carried me like a piece of paper and soon I couldn’t see my mom and the house. I heard thunder claps from a near distance and when I looked I saw lighting bolts rapidly striking random places but in the middle there was a horror. A kind of hurricane was stirring up the water, it was as large as city and the worse thing was I was being sucked to it.

The waves where getting higher and stronger and at one point I went so high I saw our house very far floating away from the cyclone. After some moments the thunder claps were so loud I covered my ears. In my thoughts I kept thinking of him, the sun. “Did I watch him enough because that might be my last memories of him,” I thought to myself. Instantly I heard a sound that felt like a bomb. The electricity rippled thought my veins like a thousand spears launched at me. The wind of the cyclone was starting to lift me off the water. My body felt limb and I was unable to move my body. I saw schools of fishes lifted out of the water and into the horrific cyclone. I felt dizzy and went to sleep.

I woke up a bit and felt unable to breath, I felt light as the wind harshly carried me then I drifted off to sleep. I dreamt again but this time I was sitting on top of a mountain starring at the sun, I was smiling at his brilliance, the warmth brought to me felt like a comfort of a thousand blankets on a freezing winter. In my dream the sun talked to me, he said “why are you sitting here, instead of fighting for this moment, you and I both know you haven’t had this moment enough, keep hoping and you shall see me shining down on you once more”. His words reminded me of eternity, the feeling of being a living being, the power of belief and the strength manifested by faith. I had to see the gentle eternal sun one more time, just one more time.

I woke up and I was high in the air raising, the wind was no longer holding on to me and my body was free. I opened my eyes and looked down and screamed loudly, I was in the sky alright but I was falling into the eye of this gigantic cyclone. I looked at the horizon were the ocean water ended and saw the beautiful sight of the sun rising from the water. He was eternal and I could feel the strength in me all return as the moment was interrupted by the wall of the cyclone moving upward and covering my sides as I fall down back into the water. I looked down and saw the dark cold water enlarge then I looked up and saw the sky shrink into a tiny ring as everything began to go dark but this time it was different, I was smiling.
 In a few moments I was under water holding my breath, the water was unstable and spinning the cyclone. Thunders and lightning were still raging. I swim nice and slow and calm my soul. In felt as if I was connected to nature, hours and hours I just float on the twisting water. I saw little bit of sun rays penetrating through the walls of the hurricane. The twisting was still as strong as before but more and more rays passed through the walls as they draw out lines through the misty air in the eye of the cyclone. The speed of the winds in the cyclone started to slow down. Within a few hours the noon sun was high and I could see the same beach from my dreams on the far end and I swam to it.

As I appeared on the horizon, there were few people on the beach. Some life guards came and rescue me from the water, they were all amazed as if they knew I survived a hurricane in the water. I asked them what happened to my family and what happened to me, they said “Your parents were worried about you; they will come and pick you up soon. You were swimming in the beach and people are suspecting you went too far and came face to face with the hurricane. The beach was full yesterday, but when we evacuated everyone you were already gone.” I was so confused and so I asked “where do I live?” The life guard replied, “Not far from here, down town on a private estate.” Then I saw my little sister holding a picture on her hand and said “here is your favourite picture, I painted it for you remember.” I grabbed the picture and looked at it; it was the painting of the village I thought I live in with the mountains around it and the sun high in the sky and also a title stating “The gentle eternal sun.”

Fictional Short Story
Written by Nemaangani Dakalo Credence

No comments:

Post a Comment